Sunday, January 1, 2012

Domestic Arts? or Domestic Sketches?

The term Domestic Arts was quite popular at the turn of the 20th century. It was used to describe all the things that women do to turn a house into a home. It is finding new renewal as more women (and men) discover the joy of keeping house, and realizing the mundane really is important.

“And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.” -- Steve Jobs


I recently discovered this quote by Steve Jobs, as he was much discussed after his death. It got me to thinking about what my true love is. I realized that I get the most joy from successful little projects around the house.


It seems that during the 80’s and 90’s we were lulled into thinking of our home-making in a more “paint-by-numbers” approach, doing things in our home just because they needed to be done, and following another person’s instructions and design. Our true passion was to be found in the workplace. But the satisfaction of creating is something that can be enjoyed at every level.


So I thought about the “art” I’ve created in my day. Many times, it feels like I do more stick figures than masterpieces. And there have been many paint-by-number types of projects. But there have been a few full art pieces – the entire pantry filled with home-canned vegetables, grown in our garden – the completely coordinated nursery all hand sewn – the knit-woven jacket made by hand (and published in a magazine). But most of my domestic arts have been sketches – the roasted chicken that was “just right”, the sweet smelling laundry lined up on the line, the cute necklace that got raves, the outfit sewn for a child.


So that is what I’m going to share with you on this blog. My Domestic Sketches. I’ll share the whole foods recipes – the green cleaning solutions – the quick little projects – the repurposed items. May you be inspired to start your own art portfolio, to be shared with your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment